Sunday, February 26, 2012

Fashion Design: A Hole in My Garment!


I’ve dreamed of being a Fashion Designer since my early high school years. When I graduated from high school I told people that were close to me that I was planning on going into Fashion Design. As expected, everyone looked at me like I was crazy. Some of them told me things like "Fashion is extremely hard to break into". Or that "It would be almost impossible to make it in fashion being from Detroit and if you got a degree in Fashion Design you will end up dressing mannequins at Macy’s". So with those discouraging words of concern from others in my head, I decided to study marketing.


Luckily, I can say everything happens for a reason. I started my first semester in the Fashion Design program at Wayne State University (near Downtown Detroit) this past January. One thing I've learned is that you need a lot of patience to learn how to sew. There is no doubt in my mind that if I had started in Fashion Design fresh out of high school, I would have given up and never touched another sewing machine.

This semester I started a fashion construction course which I attend every Saturday. And it has required a lot of hard work. Yesterday was rather trying for me. In class we were working on our first garment (a skirt). Because I am a flaming retard I got so impatient and tried to rush my project. As a result I cut a whole into my skirt while trying to seam finish on the serger. Of course I showed this to my Instructor and she provided no solution to the problem. 

Even though I just referred to myself as being a flaming retard, I do think of myself as being a clever and fresh individual when I am not trying to rush the creative process. So in the mist of my cleverness I provided 3 solutions to my issue:

 A.      Start the garment over; meaning I have to pay a visit to JoAnn’s Fabrics and buy more fabric.
 B.      Make a pocket and place it over the hole area and do the same to the opposite side.
 C.      Put lacing over this area and do the same to the opposite side.


My finger poking through my garment!

Even though I am going through this massive disaster with my first garment, I am in love with the craft.  Passion is definitely pushing me forward.

8 comments:

  1. more power to you girl! sewing is fun. I do stich by hand. it was compulsory for us to learn how to sew from the 6th grade. I find it quite useful now.

    all the best
    xx
    meinmode.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Am a fashion designer and i can tell you, not everything is so beautiful and nothing is easy but after all, when you love what you do, it doesn´t matter. I hope you success!
    LAZYCATSTYLE

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the designer,it is so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I’m glad to find so many useful and informative data on your website.

    colored contacts

    ReplyDelete
  5. it lets you be the fashionista that you always desire to be, it brings out the best in you and gives you complete satisfaction.visit

    ReplyDelete
  6. This stuff is down t earth, hats off buds out there.

    topfashionshades.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. you guys provide the top fashion accessories that make us glad to be shopping at your website, we all are looking forward to more fashionable accessoriesfind a location near you

    ReplyDelete
  8. The best perk of all? The Fashion Hunter Program. You can get freebies in exchange for a post on your blog. Pakistan Fashion

    ReplyDelete