Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Box Braids: Should I Wear?


I am in dire need of a new look. I have been flipping and curling my natural hair for a long time. And I am honestly ready to retire this hair. I believe it’s boring and it's time to experiment with something new, fresh and funky. The last article that I wrote that was hair related was “Colored Hair: Should Women Wear?”. In this article I spoke of the fashion world’s new fascination with colorful headed fashionistas. I also expressed how I loved seeing women in their colorful hair, but it was so clear that it wasn’t for me because I don’t like to dye my hair.

One of the newer hair trends that has caught my attention are the box braids.  For a long time; braids, dreads, and afros have scared me. But, it seems to have a strange appeal to me these days. And I have been considering a natural hairstyle for a few months now. I remember seeing a very beautiful young lady at the Grosse Pointe Woods fireworks with blonde dreads and it’s been like a never ending cycle of me trying to find a similar hairstyle.

Image of Beyonce music.yahoo.com

Image of Solange via fashionbellus.tumblr.com

A couple of days ago I took to my Google search engine and typed in boxed braids. To my surprise I saw Beyoncé (my favorite style star) rocking the box braids. It was like the confirmation that this trend is fabulous and it's something I should be diving into. I also saw pictures of her sister, Solange and I thought she looked absolute perfection. And of course I looked at images of women that aren’t celebrities and I loved their hairstyles in box braids as well.

So should I get box braids? And the answer is yes in my opinion. I’m young, black and I think that both of these facts correlate with the braided hairstyle.  

11 comments:

  1. wow your hair is awesome! and you look like a model!
    following!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's not me... image of someone else (inspiration)

      Delete
  2. WOW very difficult look to pull off... but I'm sure YOU can do it :) :)

    Would love if you could check out my latest outfit post?

    Jess XO

    www.mindbodyshop.blogspot.com.au

    ReplyDelete
  3. I say do it! I have never seen boxbriads look bad on anyone yet

    xx
    meinmode.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmm...I don't know. I'm new to your blog so I don't really know what kind of vibe you give out (just looked at some pictures). I don't know how this would look with short hair, but if you have confidence you can make it work. It's very risky, but if you really want to do it - go for it!

    Found you through IFB - followed ya~ Looking forward to more. Really like that H&M mint dress, by the way - I have a similar one myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the follow you are so sweet... I am currently following you back... and as for the braids... I'm gonna get them long.. so I don't look like I've lost my mind lol

      Delete
  5. DO IT ! Braids look great on everybody and I'm sure it would be fab' on your head :)


    http://keep-it-coolandfresh.blogspot.ch/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love it, can't wait to see what you do next! Come check out my blog, maybe we can follow each other!
    Material Fixations

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really like the look on Beyonce, so go for it;)
    xx Kate

    http://style-department.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. The picture of the girl is actually a Houston inspiring singer. Her name is Just Brittany.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I say go for it i am fixin to get some box braids done thursday i would love to see how they look on me!

    ReplyDelete